When it comes to the ideal van for vanlife, you have 3 main options to consider: the Sprinter, ProMaster, and Transit. To make this decision easier, we broke down the top features of each:
- Budget-friendly choice
- Front-wheel drive, great for handling in snow with all-terrain tires and chains as backup
- Boxy design simplifies certain aspects of your build
- Offers plenty of rooftop space for solar panels and equipment
- Standard rear-wheel drive, with an optional all-wheel drive (priced between ProMaster and Sprinter)
- Features a long, sloping van roof design, which limits space for solar panels and accessories
- Conversion can be slightly more challenging due to fewer flat, smooth surfaces, roof slope, and hardened steel.
- Maintenance availability and lower maintenance cost is a major selling point for Ford.
- Considerably more expensive but offers higher quality
- Certainly the most comfortable seat for long drives
- Choice between rear-wheel drive and optional 4x4 drive
- Offers both gas and diesel engine options
- Significantly higher maintenance costs and qualified shops are hard to find
- Best looking option out there in our opinion
If you're feeling overwhelmed by these options, start by making a list of your specific wants and needs for your van. Once you've identified your priorities, you can begin narrowing down your choices and find a van that will fit your lifestyle and budget.